vintage = green and Cajun = fun

vintage = green
Cajun = fun

blogging and selling vintage home decor in my 2 online shops:
The Home Repeated by menzo and milkglassandmetal

Saturday, June 12, 2010

about that house in my hometown...

It's a cottage-style house that was built in the mid-1940s - 900 square feet total. A front porch, of course. A screened back porch, of course. And an old, swinging screen door on each. It still has a little ways to go before I can post before and after photos. Designers are right - it's amazing what paint can do to a place! And I'm sure my sister would concur....since she and I were the ones who painstakingly applied 10 thousand coats of it!

My husband and I bought it almost 3 years ago (Sep 2007). A very cool history to it. It had only 1 owner before we bought it. It's right next door to the shotgun-style house I grew up in...and my brother still lives in that house we grew up in. So my older brother is about 20 steps away from my back door, which makes for some of those crazy things I mentioned in my last post.

Mrs. A's house (that's mine) sat empty for the last 10 years of her life, since she lived in a retirement home during those years. I hope I'll live to be 98 like she did! I have a lot of great memories of growing up next door to Mrs. A. My hometown is also the sort of place where most people who were born there still live there...so I'm not the only one on our street with long-term memories of Mrs. A. Her backyard was our football field and baseball field. Never in a million years did I ever think I would own the house one day! You know the best thing about it - when I'm there now, standing by the screen door on the back porch...or sitting on Mrs. A's rocking chair on the front porch...I see the same exact view I saw from my house growing up...just shifted over about 20 feet.

Priceless.

Since the house was built in the mid-1940s, and it's in my hometown, it was just crying out for a 50s to 70s era decor. You know, the way it looked when I was a kid. Hence, my transition from antiques to all things vintage. And I started buying, and buying, and buying vintage...much more than I had ever bought antiques.

Now I cannot stop. And I've wanted to own an antiques shop since I was a kid.

So I have 2 Etsy vintage shops -
menzocollection
milkglassandmetal

Yet this blog is called....the home repeated. That's because I want to use that name from now on. menzocollection is a combo of my toddler's and doggie's names, but it's not the most descriptive of names for selling vintage home goods.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment